Important stages of development
- Knowledge of stages of tuber development is important for crop management.
- Tuber development cannot be judged from canopy development.
- Direct examination of below-ground development is required.
- Stages of tuber development are shown below.
- In a crop with even development, plants should reach these stages at similar times.
Stage 1: stolon tips hooked and extending (Hook).
Stage 2: onset of stolon tip swelling, the first visible stage of tuber development (Os).
Stage 3: described in the industry as “tuber initiation” but this is a misnomer as the tuber has already been initiated.
Stage 4: onset of tuber bulking, tuber >10mm diameter (Ob).
See Crop Growth Patterns for presentations which provide introductions to various aspects of potato physiology.